For the 7th consecutive year, the major awards show, ‘Danish MPI Awards’, celebrated the work of the individuals and companies, who have contributed to and impacted the Danish meetings industry over the last year.
A total of 15 awards were presented by the MPI Denmark Chapter, last week in Copenhagen. As part of a site visit to prepare EMEC 16 that will take place in Copenhagen 7-9 February 2016, Pierre Fernandez, Federico Toja and Andrew Walker from MPI attended the Danish MPI Award Show. They were very impressed by the show and Andrew Walker said it was the best industry award he ever attended and shared the following top-ten reasons for inspiration:
Here are the top 10 reasons:
1. Unique venue: film studio, essentially a big black box providing a blank canvas on which to create a magical setting with very high production values.
2. Creative setup: long tables (including a few that were bar height) that were divided into groups of six; we had table assignments but free to choose seat, with each table providing more intimacy than rounds of 8 or 10; greater opportunity to talk with everyone at your table.
3. Audience interaction: each place setting had a white and a black card, which were used throughout the evening to vote as a group on some fun questions to win a bottle of champagne. Every correct answer scored the table a golden balloon, and the ones with the most balloons went on to compete for the prize. The questions were silly, like could build the MPI logo quicker out of Lego, an event planner or a content facilitator, with hilarious videos revealing the answers.
4. Awards: spread out over the evenings with a few grouped together before the appetiser was served, then more before the main was served. The presentations were short and sweet, presenting the three nominees, the award sponsor announcing the winner, then one of the co-hosts asking the winner to speak, with no one speaking longer than a minute.
5. Food & Beverage: chef from the catering company came on stage before each course to explain what was being served. The food was fantastic, including Peking duck for the main and dessert served in three separate glass jars. No local wine, however...it came from France !
6. Audience: nice balance between MPI members and non-members, they seemed to be engaged with what was happening on stage (in other words, not talking over the proceedings) and genuinely happy for the award winners.
7. Music: four young and very different acts were featured during the event, including between awards vs. leaving them all to the end. This did not stop people from getting up and dancing at their tables!
8. Surprise elements: at one point there was a massive rock, paper, scissors competition which generated a lot of excitement in the room. You started with the person next to you, and the winner went on to compete with someone else and the person that lost would follow you, cheering you on. And so on and so forth until there are only a few people left and masses of people supporting each one. The final competition was done on the stage. So much fun!
9. Dancing: not unlike other awards, but I really liked the mix of live band (the final of the four acts), followed by a DJ playing top 40 and dance floor classics. The open bar featured five different specialty cocktails, which contributed to the party atmosphere
10. Last but certainly not least, I should mention that all the presentations (except the singing) were in Danish! It certainly didn't hinder my enjoyment of the evening and perhaps knowing how award shows typically go it might have even contributed to it! Not being able to understand what was being said allowed me to focus on the feelings being expressed and the overall energy in the room, which was consistently high.
Overall, a fantastic event staged by the Danish MPI member Eventforce.
The following individuals and companies were honoured with awards by the members of MPI Denmark:
• Best Campaign – Wonderful Copenhagen with the #BeeSustain campaign
• Best Return on meeting Investment – Crone & Co.
• Best Technical Solution – ConsensusOnline
• Event Planner of the Year – Anette Houghs
• Meeting Planner of the Year – Jette Borner
• MPI Member of the year – Karin Krogh
• Best Catering Experience – Madkastellet
• Best Conference Partner – ConferenceCare
• Best Content Facilitator – Karin Krogh
• Best Event Agency – Eventforce
• Best Event Venue – DR Koncerthuset
• Best Innovator – Eventforce
• Best Logistic Solution – ConferenceCare
• Best Meeting Venue – Kurhotel Skodsborg
• Outstanding Achievement -Ulrika Mårtensson, Wonderful Copenhagen Convention Bureau
Written by Wonderful Copehagen